Sunday, December 31, 2006

Indoctrination, Regurgitation, not Celebration

2006 has been one of the best, and one of the worst years I've ever had. The peaks were amazing, awe inspiring highs, and the valleys...let's just say that the lows were enough to shake one's faith in humanity and the Almighty.

That shaking has caused some deep reflection about faith, religion, and organized religion's failure in my life. Actually, make that one organized religion, the Catholic Church. I respect all faiths, but I don't really want to go anywhere else. I just wish that the Church would open its eyes.

Here's a brief example . I saw The Passion when it first came out. I cringed with every lash of the whip, tensed with every indignity. It was only a movie, but it made me feel. My emotions and intellect were involved. Forgive me another movie reference, but there is a classic bit in Rain Man where Ray is reciting the "Who's on First" routine. With Ray's autism, he doesn't get the joke, he's just reciting the same words that he's heard a million times.

That is Mass for me. There is routine, there is comfort. What there is not is emotion, fulfillment, a sense of connection. There is habit. When I lived at my father's house, going to Mass was mandatory. I've gone to 7AM Mass in Polish just because it was short, and I could get it out of the way. Once I moved out, when there was no compulsion, I stopped going. I prayed, I talked to God. But I had no need nor desire for the Church. I have the feeling that my experience it not unique.

The phrase "celebrate the Mass" is used, but that is quite the misnomer. I go to Mass, and hear the listless lethargy of drones who likely haven't pondered the meanings of the things that they are saying for years. This is followed by a sermon where the priest laments the dwindling numbers at the confessional, or the departure of young adults from the Church.

For too long, the Church has gotten by via indoctrination. But the world is changing. It took centuries for them to get away from saying every Mass in Latin. It will take time for them to recognize that people should WANT to come to church. Each parish can take steps to make the experience better, more educational, more uplifting. "Because I said so" is not going to fill pews.

I pray everyday. Frankly, I don't need them. Here's hoping that a fundamental shift comes around that will make me want them. I'd rather celebrate than regurgitate any day of the week. Especially Sundays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home