Thursday, January 25, 2007

Pro choice?

No, not that choice, that will be a topic for another day. The rapid fire removal of small choices is pissing me off. For example, I do not smoke, but I am a hard core supporter of smoker's rights. I don't mind if someone smokes in a bar because, hey, let's be honest. I'm drinking alcohol, eating red meat and deep fried cheese, rendering any "second hand smoke is bad for me" arguments hypocritical at best.

Beyond the hypocrisy is the individual liberty issue. If I wanted to run a smoker friendly establishment in Philly, I couldn't. Even if everyone there signed a waiver, and the place was run for smokers by smokers, with no chance of a non-smoker entering due to heavy security, the law forbids it. Smoking is bad for me. It's legal, of course...mostly due to the obscene profits made by governments at every level by taxing it.

Sigh. I started that rant because of this one. Philadlphia's illustrious City Council is now pondering a ban on trans fats in local eateries. I already have parents I don't listen to about what's right and wrong for me. It's darkly amusing how good liberal democrats are so damn intrusive in private life and label the other side as fascists.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascist

"Fascism may be defined as a form of political behavior marked by obsessive preoccupation with community decline, humiliation, or victim-hood and by compensatory cults of unity, energy, and purity, in which a mass-based party of committed nationalist militants, working in uneasy but effective collaboration with traditional elites, abandons democratic liberties and pursues with redemptive violence and without ethical or legal restraints goals of internal cleansing and external expansion."[4]
Paxton further defines fascism's essence as:

"1. a sense of overwhelming crisis beyond reach of traditional solutions; 2. belief one’s group is the victim, justifying any action without legal or moral limits; 3. need for authority by a natural leader above the law, relying on the superiority of his instincts; 4. right of the chosen people to dominate others without legal or moral restraint; 5. fear of foreign `contamination."[5]


Anyway...back on point...I don't need, want, or trust a corrupt band of local pols to decide what I should and should not eat. Give me at least that little freedom.
After all, trans fats also occur naturally in ruminants. You know, cattle, sheep, etc. In the home of the cheesesteak? I grudgingly tolerate these tools in my pocket, but I really need them to stay off my plate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home