Thursday, January 04, 2007

Jujutsu, Night One

Ow. This is bad, and tomorrow will be worse. I did my first Brazilian Jujutsu class tonight, and I am hurt and spent. We warmed up, and did some basic drills. Simple, practical things like trapping someone in your guard when you are on your back. Good stuff. Then came the pain.

Chokes. Rear naked chokes, gi chokes, from different angles. Some people might remember plucking dandelions and popping the tops off in summers past. Now that I know what it is like to be said dandelion, I might never do that again. The simple rear naked choke, a staple of grappling, is....disconcerting when applied correctly. First, there is a squeeze, leading to an uncomfortable pressue. Then, if you are not smart enough to tap quickly, that pressure is accompanied by rapidly fading consciousness.

Sick freak that I am, I had a ball. I almost puked, and my neck is sore as hell. But it was fun. And, when one has freakishly oversized, Baby Huey looking, college offensive line playing kid brothers. Well. One never knows what might come in handy one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home