Monday, July 06, 2009

The Unitary Executive, New and Improved!

I have been trying mightily to go easy when criticizing the new administration. The world economy is a mess, there are military commitments to honor, and of course, the herculean task of being the leader of the free world.

Unlike my friends who dwell to the left of center, I will always try to be specific, pointed, and fair in my criticisms. With that in mind, I will deal only with the specific linked article.

I am painfully aware that almost no one cares about the US Constitution without Bush in office. Last year, there was a resurgence in civil libertarianism that was impressive as it was short-lived and disingenuous. So, please peruse the article linked and you will see my problem.

Without senate ratification, a treaty does not exist. No president has the right to enforce a deal he or she brokers with another country without it. The president was a senator, and he taught constitutional law, I'm reasonably sure this isn't news.

I guess I'll finish with this. Mr. President, with all due respect, the man who wrote The Audacity of Hope would kick your ass in a debate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home