Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Barackenomics

I do my best to keep my political rants above the belt, and to provide "whys" when I say something. I'm also a big fan of people making up their own damn minds. To that end, the above link goes to Barack's tax cut site.

Does anything strike anyone as odd? Plug in your own numbers.
  • If McCain is not offering middle class tax relief, and you are offering 3x as much, how much is that?
  • Why do I have to click on a link to the FAQ to learn that Obama wants to extend the Bush tax cut? Apparently, that tax cut was not only for the rich. Damn if I don't feel lied to. I guess saying Bush was right won't get ya many votes.
  • Yes, yes, the richest 2% will not keep that tax cut. But they will, at worst, go back to the 1990's rates. So, by raising taxes by 4.6% on 2% of wage earners, everything will be fixed.
  • Almost 40% of taxpayers in this country do not pay income taxes. The only way to give then a tax break would be to cut their payroll taxes, which means defunding Social Security and Medicare.
  • The tax cut offered to companies that create jobs here is a pittance. When pressed on high corporate tax rates, Obama has said that with the loopholes in place, some companies pay too little. Instead of addressing the causes of outsourcing, his stated policy seems to be content to hasten it.

On the plus side, he is from Chicago, the home of Milton Friedman. God willing, he will ignore his campaign staff if he is elected, and get some sound advice to base policy on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home