Thursday, October 04, 2007

Phillies

Ugh..I've said it before, but I will post it now. I would gladly trade the Phil's presence in the playoffs for a do-over and win for the Eagles over the Giants this past Sunday.

Those who know me have heard this ad nauseum, but baseball died for me in 1994 when the bastards cancelled the World Series. Wars don't cause the cancellation of the Series. Hell, an earthquake only cost the Series one game. But that year...that year, a strike called a halt to the season. I would have been fine with that if both sides hadn't started the predictable "..it's a shame that this is happening, because the fans are the ones who are suffering..."

If either side really cared about the fans, it never would have gotten to that point. Compound that with the home run friendly parks, corked bats, juiced balls, roided out freaks, and a Phillies team that took over 10 years to get to .500, and hell, it's been easy to stay away.

If their is a dark lord of sports, hear my offer now. I will gladly trade every future Phillies win for 3 Lombardi trophies for the Eagles over the next 10 years. Seriously. The Phillies can go 0 for the next millennium, just give me a couple Superbowl wins.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a shame that America's past-time has fallen victim to the almighty dollar. Expected, but sad. $50 cheap-seat tickets, steroid fueled records, players crying over million dollar multi-year salaries that are too low, players that make multi-million dollar salaries and still suck, and unabashed marketing hype has pretty much put all pro sports into a category that never was interested in the fans...but was highly interested in the fans' money. Why did every baseball player take steroids? Because after the '94 strike, fans left. What brought them back? More home runs per season than ever. How do you do that? Cheat, cheat, or change the field. Or cheat and change the field. Fans=money. We've known that all along. But when it is so blatant, you can't help but blame the fans for fueling it. Looks like we're all lemmings when it comes to entertainment. I haven't bought a ticket to a pro sporting event in nearly 10 years. Probably won't do so for another 10. Watching broadcast TV isn't too bad of an alternative. At least it's the companies' advertising dollars that are going to the teams, and not my dollars. And no, I've never bought bud light just because I see their ads during football games.

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home